Tuesday, August 7, 2012 | | By: Febi

Azizul finishes last as cycling ace Hoy claims his sixth gold

Cyclist Azizulhasni Awang failed miserably as Chris Hoy ended his stunning Olympic career at the Olympic Park yesterday by defending his Beijing keirin crown to claim a sixth Games gold and become Britain’s most successful Olympian.

Germany’s Maximilian Levy finished second to take the silver with New Zealand’s Simon Van Velthooven and Dutchman Teun Mulder sharing the bronze after a long wait for a photo finish decision.

Azizul, however, came in sixth – and last.
Azizul was clearly disappointed with himself for not getting among the medals despite targeting it.
“I was caught off guard in the first lap as the other riders forced me to the back of the pack. It meant I had to get out in front at an early stage. I moved up after the fourth lap but that cost me dearly as I used up a lot of my energy,” he said.

“By the last lap the other riders had more in reserve to push me out of the medal rankings. The tactic was okay but, when you start off in last place, then you are always chasing the pack and it drains you.”
Hoy won three Olympic gold medals in the sprint, keirin and team sprint four years ago to add to his kilometre time trial crown from Athens in 2004.

And despite being unable to defend his sprint title after being ousted by Jason Kenny for Britain’s sole spot in the event, Hoy struck gold twice in his two London events of the team sprint and keirin.
The 36-year-old Scot’s sixth gold means that on the count of gold medals alone, he overtakes Steve Redgrave’s tally of five, all of which were won in consecutive Games.

“I’m in shock, you try and compose yourself but it’s surreal. I wanted to win gold in front of my home crowd. I saw everyone stepping up to the plate and thankfully it worked out for me too,” said Hoy.
Meanwhile, Australia’s Anna Meares overcame arch rival Victoria Pendleton to win the women’s sprint title earlier yesterday but the event ended on a sour note for the retiring Briton, who was relegated in the first leg.

Pendleton was adjudged to have left the sprinting lane, drawing boos from the raucous home crowd when the decision was announced.

It was Meares’ second Olympic title after she won gold in the time trial in Athens eight years ago and exacted a modicum of revenge over Pendleton who beat her to the sprint title in Beijing.
For Pendleton, who is retiring after the Olympics and had already claimed a gold in the keirin, it was a disappointing end to a glittering career, that had delivered two Games golds and nine world titles.
“I’m very glad to be saying this is the last time I am going to go through that,” said Pendleton, who was also relegated in the team sprint competition.

“I was really annoyed because I am sure that she touched me (on the first leg) and it caused me to move up (out of her lane). I can’t believe twice in one competition I’ve been relegated, disqualified and relegated.

“It’s unheard of. So yeah, bit of a surprise. It did knock my confidence a bit, I have to say. I really tried in that last ride but ... sorry,” she said before starting to cry.
China’s Guo Shuang won the bronze after beating Germany’s Kristina Vogel.









0 comments:

Post a Comment